As an extractive industry, aluminium producers face many environmental challenges. By acknowledging them, we have committed ourselves to good environmental stewardship, with a focus on:
- Minimising any impact on the environment.
- Minimising climate change impact.
- Researching ways to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Promoting the responsible and safe disposal or reuse of waste products.
- Maximising the use of recycled materials.
- Restoring land to its natural state or to sustainable agriculture use after mining (through mine rehabilitation programmes) or after other industrial processes.
- Embarking on a rigorous analysis programme to develop as complete an understanding as possible of the life cycle of aluminium. The life cycle analysis includes both the positive contributions that aluminium makes to the environmental and economic wellbeing of the world's population, as well as any negative social or environmental impact that might be caused by its production processes.